“The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul and a new nose; new feet, a new backbone, new ears, and new eyes. Unless a particular man made New Year resolutions, he would make no resolutions. Unless a man starts afresh about things, he will certainly do nothing effective.”
― G.K. Chesterton
We’ll be taking a little break over the New Year to realign our thoughts, dream new dreams, and perhaps even press delete on ideas that aren’t really working out for us. You can count us to be back at the store & ready to ship orders from 9 January 2017.
Greatest lessons learnt in 2016:
- Where you see is where you go
- “Don’t do what makes you happy. Do what makes you great” – Charlie Day
- Your thoughts and attitudes shape your health. All those unresolved feelings of anger, hurt, envy, unforgiveness, fear, guilt, heartbreak… they do nothing but turn inwards and hurt you in the end. This year I discovered just how much of a toll they take on your wellbeing. If you’re feeling stuck and quite literally sick and bothered, I hope you’ll get a chance to sit down and get real uncomfortable with those feelings so that you can work through them. Hopefully, you will find yourself so tired of having to carry this burden that you can finally forgive yourself, forgive others, and let it go.
- Perfectionism, as Elizabeth Gilbert writes in her book Big Magic (one of my favourite reads this year), is the couture version of fear.
- And finally, it’s always so much better to focus on your own shit and grow what you have, rather than wishing for more and neglecting your ready resources.
What did you learn this year?
Ultimately, we couldn’t have gotten through 2016 without your support. Thank you for your friendship, your orders, your lovely posts and comments – they keep us going.
“There is a season for wildness and a season for settledness, and this is neither. This season is about becoming.”
– Shauna Niequiest
Preparing. Gathering. Detoxing.
Shedding old ideas and attitudes like a skin.
Catching myself when my mind starts to romanticise the past.
Telling myself to breathe when I start to hyperventilate about the future.
Editing out what I won’t be carrying into 2017.
Thought it would be good to get a head start…
“I’ll tell you what freedom is to me. No. Fear.”
– Nina Simone
“Ignore those who speak ill to or about you and those who enable you to be self-deprecating. If it doesn’t make you happy, you can’t afford it. Your energy is on a strict budget.”
– Karen Civil
We’ve all been there. You’re in bed, scrolling on Instagram or repinning something. You’re tired but you’ve had such a full on day that you just want to go on a mental vacation.
Suddenly, you’re beyond the threshold of drowsy and officially wide awake again.
This is me now, at 2.52am. I’m not at my best when I’m overtired.
I don’t know about you but I get paranoid, combative (like why am I suddenly so creative with snarky comebacks to arguments that have happened during the day?! Delayed reaction much) and tend to buy totally ridiculous things online (plastic vacuum bags for your closet, anyone?).
As someone whom sleep has evaded half her life, I’m now at the age where if I can’t fall asleep for two hours of being in bed, I’ll get up and try again.
THINGS I DO WHEN I’M OVERTIRED & CAN’T SLEEP Take a shower to cool down my body temperature…
Layer up on essential oils on my chest, throat, temples and the small of my back. Right now, I like frankincense, cedar and lavender as I’ve been coughing a lot lately. People near us have been burning incense paper which as any fellow asthmatic will tell you, is almost a season pass to Ventolin-land. I also applied a touch of neroli essential oil as I have been a bit hard on myself lately. Importantly I pick the essential oils which are super sedative and help me calm down…
Make myself a hot cup of Milo…
Do the ‘legs up the wall‘ pose… and then get frustrated when I don’t feel it working…
Write stuff down…
Pray or read an inspirational quote or visualise something positive…
What do you do when you’re overtired and over it?